What is Gluten?
What is Gluten? Gluten (from Latin gluten "glue") is a protein composite that appears in foods processed from wheat and related species. Gluten is found in the endosperm of various grass families such as wheat, barley and rye.It gives elasticity to dough, helping it to rise and to keep its shape, and often giving the final product a chewy texture.Gluten is comprised of two proteins - gliadin and a glutelin- along with starch, in the endosperm of various grains.
- Gliadin is alcohol-soluble
- glutenin is water-insoluble
- Worldwide, gluten is a source of protein, both in foods prepared directly from sources containing it, and as an additive to foods otherwise low in protein.
- It comprises about 80% of the protein in wheat seeds
Gluten can be found in other foodproducts as a protein source or to add an elastic quality or thickeners. It is found in packaged meats, pre-packaged vegetarian patties and any pre-packaged food to acheive presentation properties like texture.
Gluten Free Tip
""Foods labeled "gluten-free" are safe to eat, but not those labeled "wheat-free," as gluten may be present
Foods to be avoided include wheat, rye, barley, semolina, farina, matzo meal, graham flour, bulgar, durham, kamut, kasha, spelt and triticale.
Products that may contain gluten
- Play dough
- Any product that needs a binding product
If you have a gluten intolerance or suspect you have gluten allergies, the best gluten free diet to eat is "Clean". When I say diet I mean a way of eating for the rest of your life... not a way to lose weight.
"Eating Clean" is the natural diet of our ancestors which eliminates all processed and packaged foods. These foods contain all types of hidden chemicals,additives and gluten which is not on the label.
How to eat clean:
- Fresh fruits and vegetables (organic)
- Alkaline and filtered water
- Kosher or organic meats containing no antibiotics or hormones
- Using fresh milled flour to bake.
- Nuts and beans
- Rice and potatoes
- Fresh fish
To your health